What is the best gaming mouse? We will guide you through the jungle of mice out there.
Computer mice were originally developed only as a pointing device and a peripheral that enhances your work with a computer. Nowadays things has changed big time and we now have specially designed gaming mice. They have quite a few key characteristics that make them different than a regular computer mouse. Cutting edge technology is now being incorporated in the best mice available. They use fast sensors that can keep up with the demanding pace of the games, support higher DPI ranges and use software that give gamers the opportunity to adjust the mouse to their prefered settings and game style. So how do you pick the right gaming mouse?
- 1 Best Mice for Gaming in 2016
- 1.1 Best gaming mouse comparison table 2016
- 1.1.1 Best eSports mouse - Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
- 1.1.2 Best all-purpose mouse of 2016 - Razer DeathAdder Chroma
- 1.1.3 Best MMO mouse of 2016 - Razer Naga Epic Chroma
- 1.1.4 Best FPS mouse of 2016 - Corsair Vengeance M65
- 1.1.5 Best RTS mouse of 2016 - Razer Mamba Tournament Edition
- 1.1.6 Best MOBA mouse of 2016 - Logitech G303 Daedalus
- 1.1.7 Best cheap mouse for gamers of 2016 - Turtle Beach Grip 300
- 1.2 How have we tested the best gaming mice?
- 1.3 Best Wired Gaming Mice
- 1.4 Best Wireless Gaming Mice
- 1.5 Best mouse pads
- 1.6 Our team
Best Mice for Gaming in 2016
Finding the mice for gaming actually depends on your preferences regarding games. Usually, if you are more into FPS games, the DPI rating would be crucial for your choice and changing it via the button for dpi is also preferable. If real-time strategy games, MMOs and MOBAs are your thing, then the mouse that will suit your needs would be one with as many programmable buttons as possible and one that would let you map macros.
What is a good gaming mouse brand?
There are lots of different brands out there, both good and bad. Logitech and Razer are the largest and they definitely have some great mice for your gaming needs, but you can't forget Steel Series, Corsair or Turtle beach either + several other good brands like Roccat, Mad Catz, Zowie and Cougar.
So, which gaming mouse should i get? Read on to find out!
Best gaming mouse comparison table 2016
Best eSports mouse - Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum is the latest addition to the Logitech’s G-series aimed particularly for eSports gamers. However, it proved to be one of the most versatile gaming mice on the market so far, offering amazing performance and perfect accuracy in all game genres. The price tag of around $135 might seem a bit high, but you will not be disappointed with the investment as you will get a lag free wireless mouse that will last you for years.
Best all-purpose mouse of 2016 - Razer DeathAdder Chroma
The Razer DeathAdder Chroma has passed all the tests and deserves being titled with being the best all-purpose mouse. It feels very comfortable in the hand and also is a good fit for lefties. What makes the Razer DeathAdder Chroma the best mouse for gaming, is the 10.000 CPI optical sensor and the possibility to customize the sensitivity depending on the genre of game you have chosen to play. It is also the quickest Razer gaming mouse as it can reach speed movements of up to 200 IPS (inch per second) and the acceleration is of 50 g. It has two programmable buttons, which are probably not enough when playing MMOs, but enough for any other game genre. The mouse uses Razer Synapse software that has been criticized for being slow and demanding online connection for the initial signing up, but other than that it is a great, easy to use software. With Razer Synapse Software the gamers can customize the CPI it can also run a surface scan in order to adjust the mouse to the relative surface and improve the mouse’s accuracy. With a price tag of around $70 the Razer DeathAdder Chroma is not the cheapest wired gaming mouse available, but it is worth the investment for those that can afford it.
Best MMO mouse of 2016 - Razer Naga Epic Chroma
What makes the Razer Naga Epic Chroma the best MMO mouse is the fact that it has the amazing 19 buttons, out of which 12 are thumb programmable buttons. Button design is especially import for MMO gamers, and they appreciate gaming mice that comprise of as many programmable buttons as possible as they can assign skills to them and access them with their thumb straight away and at the same time have the rest of their fingers free to control the avatar and the camera. Razer has defintely designed some amazing buttons on this mouse. The Razer Naga Epic Chroma is a wireless mouse, but that doesn’t have to put you off, as it delivers great performance and is packed with functionality. The software is easy to use and straightforward and the mouse has colourful lighting, that is great for assigning different profiles. It has to be taken in consideration that it is quite big and with high profile that make the mouse grip more suitable for palm grippers and as it is aimed for MMOs it might not perform as expected with other game genres. It is an expensive mouse available at about $130, but you would want to pay that to own the best MMO mouse.
Best FPS mouse of 2016 - Corsair Vengeance M65
The CORSAIR VENGEANCE M65 actually would do great in any game genre, but it is designed with FPS gamers in mind. What the FPS gamer needs, is the best FPS mouse that is comfortable and accurate and the CORSAIR VENGEANCE M65 is just that. What improves the already comfortable design is the fact that the mouse also has adjustable weights and when it comes to accuracy, what wins it is the programmable button that enters “sniper mode” where the CPI is lower and lets players aim with better precision.
Best RTS mouse of 2016 - Razer Mamba Tournament Edition
The RAZER MAMBA is big, comfortable and has the best sensor you could possibly find. That is what an RTS gamer would look for in a mouse and that is what makes the RAZER MAMBA the best RTS mouse right now. The laser sensor it is equipped with can go to 16.000 DPI and using the Razer Synapse software you can easily assign skills to the programmable buttons, create profiles and macros and do whatever you like and need on your way to winning the game.
Best MOBA mouse of 2016 - Logitech G303 Daedalus
When you are into multiplayer online battle arena games like League of Legends and Dota 2, all you need is simple mouse that would fit your palm well and keep your hand in place. The Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex is just that kind of mouse. What makes it the best MOBA mouse is the tight and quick click of the super responsive buttons the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex has. This mouse uses a capable 12000 DPI Delta Zero sensor and is equipped with 6 programmable buttons that you can customize with the super easy to use Logitech Gaming Software. Not only that the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex is the MOBA mouse of choice, but due to its lightweight and small size it is a great choice for gamers with small hands and novices in gaming.
Best cheap mouse for gamers of 2016 - Turtle Beach Grip 300
The TURTLE BEACH GRIP 300 takes the first place in being the best cheap gaming mouse. It is priced at under $40 and with its light and simple design is a great choice for all types of medium level gamers. You do not need to mess with software, just plug it in and play. And you will definitely enjoy playing with the TURTLE BEACH GRIP 300 as it offers three DPI settings for the gamers who are into low DPI and the ones who are fans of FPS and RTS games. It is just the best of the cheap mice for every day playing in any game genre.
How have we tested the best gaming mice?
The best mice for gaming would not only include the latest technology developments in the area and deliver great performance, but also will be comfortable to your hand and easy to use. Apart from technical key points that we always put to analysis, we are always looking for a great and comfortable feel of the mouse in the hand when used continuous hours. We also think that the best mouse for gaming, should come with easy to use and straightforward software and plenty of features to customize. We always test the mouse in different gaming genres as some gaming mice perform great in some genres and are not as good when playing other genres.
So the first thing to do is to take the mouse out of the box and plug it into the computer. Here of course there is a difference if we are dealing with a wireless mouse or a wired one. When it comes to wireless mouse, part of the analysis includes testing the connectivity between the receiver and the mouse itself. Different brands would offer different distances from the receiver or include extension cables, so we always put to the test the limits of that distance. What is also a good way to test the connectivity of a wireless mouse is to put obstacles between the mouse and receiver, as you can imagine in real world often your own feet are on the way if your computer is under your desk for instance. So, the wireless mouse of choice would be one that doesn’t have connectivity lag and thankfully the top rated wireless gaming mice on offer right now feel just as if they were wired mice.
Once plugged in and working, we need to have a look at the software. The Gaming software should be easy and fast to install, if the driver’s are not included in the pack, than we check if they are easily accessible online. With the software installed, we get on with setting different CPI sensitivity levels, assigning commands to the programmable buttons, creating multiple profiles and even playing with the lighting options if there is any.
After we have spend some time getting to know all the options available within the software, we actually start with the real test - playing. Every mouse that we lay our hands on, is run through the main gaming genres - FPS, MMO, MOBA, RTS. The overall best mouse for games would of course be capable of an outstanding performance in each of the gaming genres and we have picked our winner, but we have also selected the best FPS mouse, best MMO mouse, best MOBA mouse and best RTS mouse. We have also picked the best mouse for gamers on a budget, as price tags can be a bit outrageous sometimes.
Before we have a more detailed look at our winners, we also want to share the main technical points that we are putting to the test when deciding on the best of the best.
● CPI (counts per inch) or also seen as DPI (dots per inch) is a measurement that shows how many times the mouse’s sensor reads the tracking surface it is placed on for every inch it is being moved, or in other words, how accurate the mouse is. In reality, the lower the CPI is set to, the further you have to travel with your mouse for the cursor to move. This is of a great importance for hardcore FPS players. The best FPS mouse would be one that provides gamers with the opportunity to change sensitivity settings and set the CPI to low for more accurate aiming and precise headshots.
● Jitter – this is the crazy trembling of your cursor on the screen when you are not even touching the mouse. Jitter usually happens with mice that have a poor quality sensor and this one is pushed to it’s limits. However, to find the best mouse for gamers, we have included products that have cutting edge sensor technology incorporated and have never experienced jitter.
● Angle snapping - this is when the data collected from the sensor is slightly modified in order to get smoother movements. No gamer would want to use this option as this means that the movements of your cursor are not completely the same as the ones of your hand. The best gaming mice we have chosen, have the angle snapping switched off by default, however it is good to have that in mind and check the settings of your mouse when you plug it in for the first time.
● Acceleration is when the faster you move the mouse, the faster your cursor goes. Playing with acceleration takes time to get used to and it really depends on the player’s personal preferences. Usually the settings of acceleration can be found on your OS, the drivers of the mouse and in-game. The acceleration supposes some degree of ability to predict the movements of your mouse and some gamers are not excited by the option, but that again depends on the way a player strategically functions and the genre he is keen on. The typical movements in a FPS are quite different than the ones used in a RTS for instance. However, it is good to know that in Quake 3 and Quake Live, the gamers have finer control over the acceleration.
● Lift off distance (LOD) is the actual height the mouse has to be lifted off the surface it is placed on in order to stop tracking it. This option is usually taken into mind from players who have their mouse sensitivity set to low and lift the mouse off before they place it back in position.
● Programmable buttons - this really comes down to the type of game genre you prefer. The best mouse doesn’t necessarily have to be the one with the most programmable buttons, but if you are crazy about MMOs like the World of Warcraft for example, your best MMO mouse would have at least 6 programmable buttons.
● Weight and weight tuning - you would usually say that the lighter the mouse the better, but there are so many gamers around the world that are ready to argue about that. So we think that the mouse you should choose, would be one that offers weight tuning in order to fit different personal preferences.
● Price - price is not to disregard as all this technology packed in the mice nowadays comes with a price. We will have a special comparison based on price tags further in our gaming mice reviews, however we have prepared a special place of our choice of the best cheap gaming mouse.
Best Wired Gaming Mice
Razer DeathAdder Chroma - The best all-purpose mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex - The best MOBA mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core - The best heavy mouse
Best Wireless Gaming Mice
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum - Best eSports mouse
Steelseries Sensei - Best ambidextrous mouse
Razer Mamba - Best RTS mouse
Razer Naga - Best MMO mouse
Best mouse pads
What gaming mouse pad should you choose?
So you've found the mouse you want, but you also need a great a mousepad that's awesome to game on. Check out our choices here:
Razer Firefly - The best allround pad
Logitech G440 - The best High DPI pad
Steelseries DeX - Best speed & accuracy pad
Mad Catz G.L.I.D.E.3 - Best cheap pad
Logitech G640 - Best low DPI pad
We are avid gamers, and do our best to provide you with the information you need to make a good choice for your gaming rig. We're currently working on getting our Youtube channel ready as well, and will bring you unboxing videos, and video reviews of the different mice. We hope to see you there!
The BGM team.
Hi, I am Thomas and I have been into gaming for quite a long time now. I started gaming as a hobby on a Commodore 64 way back in 1986 and it turned into my passion while the years went. When I am not playing on my computer I do website design and having a great computer and peripherals is quite important to me. That is how, I decided to create BGN Onlie to help professionals and hobbyists make the right choice of mouse, not only when it comes to gaming, but for everyday use as well.
Hi, My name is Sam and by profession I am writer and editor. I do spend quite a lot of time in front of my PC not only because of my job, but also because I am a great RTS fan. Of course, I do not limit myself to RTS only and since I joined BGM Online I have been playing all different genres of games and enjoying it fully!
Hi, I am Felicia and I'm a huge PC gamer. PCMASTERRACE! I am also a cosplayer. Everybody knows how important the gear is for a gamer, so that is why I love being part of the BGM Online team and help gamers enhance their gaming experience.